Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Wake-up Call

So, sometimes in life we are given wake-up calls. I had one Monday. It was scary. This weekend, my husband and I went to Santa Barbara with a group; we camped, hiked, surfed, and kayaked. Well, that morning, my husband and I went kayaking. This was my first time to do this. We were doing well and were out there a good amount of time. Well, when we decided to head back, the worst happened. We capsized. It was awful. The water was choppy and very cold (around 65 degrees). For some reason, I went into panic mode, which isn't like me. I was terrified. There we were, far from the shore. Luckily, some of the others from the group were out in the water, too, and were able to get to us after awhile. God sent them to help us, I know it. My husband was able to flip the kayak over, thankfully. I'm not very strong in the arms; I'm incredibly weak there, so having to pull myself into the boat was almost impossible. I really thought I wouldn't be able to get in. One of the others pulled me in while she was still on her kayak.

Here's the wake-up call. It was very difficult for me due to lack of strength and my gut. Honestly, the lower part of my stomach wouldn't go over the side of the kayak while I was trying to get in. That's what hit me: my weight could have put my life in greater danger. Now, I'm not obese, but I'm pudgy. Bad enough for me to have this situation occur.


Sometimes, we need a good kick in the butt, or in my case, gut, to get us to realize what we're doing wrong. I realize it now. I'm back to regular exercise and healthy eating. I'm getting rid of my gut and weaknesses. I'll be telling you all about it!

No comments: