Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Brown Sugar Drops

So, I decided to take my first whack at being a "domestic goddess" since I got married. And by "domestic" I mean the cooking. I have the cleaning nailed! I'm truly blessed to have married a man who loves to cook. This aspect of domestic goes beyond my normal pasta I'm good at making. I decided to bake something...from scratch. Oh, yeah! I made brown sugar drops, and I have the recipe for you!

Ingredients: 
1/2 cup shortening
1 cup brown sugar (packed)
1 egg
1 tsp. of vanilla
1/4 cup of water or buttermilk
1 and 3/4 cups of flour (if using a self-rising flour, omit the soda and salt!)
1 tsp. soda
1 tsp. salt

Oven:
Heat to 400 degrees

1. Mix shortening, sugar, vanilla, and eggs thoroughly. Stir in water (or buttermilk. I used water). Measure flour by dipping the measuring cup into flour and leveling off with spatula or straight edge knife.
2. Stir flour, soda, and salt together; blend into sugar mixture. Chill at least an hour.


3. Drop rounded teaspoonfuls of dough about 2" apart on lightly greased baking sheet. (I did mine a bit too big the first time around, but I fixed it later.)


4. Bake 8-10 minutes, or until almost no imprint remains when touched lightly.

 
Makes about 36 cookies.

I'm very pleased with how they turned out! I actually want to cook, now.
 

No comments: