Wednesday, May 28, 2014

A Change of Direction

I have been habitually missing from posting. I really just lost my groove and even interest for awhile. Now, I have a new direction for this space. This past week, I read The Kind Diet, and it got me to thinking more about what I put in and on my body. I've always loved animals, and at one point I was a vegetarian, but I was still living with my parents at the time, and I couldn't really figure out how to make the lifestyle work for me. Now, I'm married with a stronger grasp of cooking and who I am. After reading the harmful effects of consuming meats and the process that typically goes into procuring the meat, I have switch to being a pescetarian. This means the only meat I eat are fish and seafood, but I won't eat lobster or crab since their claws are ripped off them while they are alive and conscience.


Let me clarify. It's not so much eating the meat I have a problem with as it is the practices behind it. They way the animals are treated and the hormones and chemicals pumped into them have me turning away from meat. I hope to one day be completely vegetarian, but it's one step at a time. Now, I also look at the products I buy as well. I now use only cruelty-free products; if they are vegan or vegetarian, I am definitely getting it. Why? Well there really is no need to test products on animals anymore. With leather, I don't want a purse that comes from an animal's pain that badly. At a Tyson factory a few years back, cows were suppose to be stunned before slaughter, but many times it didn't take. There is video footage of them being skinned while conscience and having their legs chopped off while they are crying out and kicking trying to escape. I can't have anything that comes from suffering. I just can't anymore.

I don't mean to get on my soapbox, but it really affected me. So, I will be showcasing products and recipes for those who want to have good, cruelty-free products and vegetarian recipes. We'll learn together. If you see anything you think I would like, let me know!

No comments: