Saturday, October 1, 2011

Misadventures of Snorkeling Proportions

Today, the husband and I went snorkeling. It was my first time, and the first time I've been in the water since the capsizing incident. We went to La Jolla, which is just a few miles north of San Diego and home to great snorkeling. You can see sharks - little ones - and sting rays very easily just off the short. Actually, they tend to be in the middle of the waves and just beyond. We rented wet suits and gear for about $13 each, which was very nice. We were out for about three hours.

So far, I'm not a fan. I have this crazy fear of drowning, which was just heightened since capsizing. We weren't given any lessons, and like an idiot, I just went right into the water with just the basics under my belt. My husband has snorkeled and loved it, so I assumed it wouldn't be too bad. It was very weird breathing from the snorkel. Very. I think what I'm going to do is get a snorkel and mask and try it out in the pool we have at the apartment.

Now, I did make it out past the waves and did turn over to look in the water. I saw nothing. Of course, the husband saw fish, sharks, and stingrays. Lucky him. What did I do? I stepped on a stingray and got a cut on my foot. I know.



No comments: