Thursday, March 27, 2014

A Parisian Influence

We just bought our first house, and I started my new position I was promoted to. Needless to say, the past few weeks have been a busy blur. It was a needed break. I feel more focused and ready to tackle things.

Lately, I've been reading a lot of books on Parisian style, women, or novels that take place in Paris. I've just been in that mood. Sometimes, a particular topic will just seize me, and I can't get enough of the topic. The style and life of the Parisian woman has captivated me. I visited Paris when I was 16. I loved it, but I would really love to return now as a grown woman with fresh eyes and new appreciation. From glancing at other blogs, I know I am not the only one who is inspired by all things French, so I have a reading list for you.

 My current read is Lessons in French by Hilary Reyl. It is a novel set in 1989 about a recent college graduate who moves to Paris for her first job as an assistant to a famous photographer. She is introduced to the glamorous life of the photographer and learns more about herself along the way.

Entre Nous by Debra Ollivier is a great read if you want to know the inner workings of the French woman. The author lived in Paris for over a decade and offers great insights on how to be like the French.

 I love Lessons from Madame Chic by Jennifer L. Scott. The author lives in Paris as an exchange student, and her hostess, Madame Chic, takes her under her wing. In the book, she relates how women in Paris live, from Madame Chic to Madame Bohème. It is a wonderful read full of tips and ideas. 

Paris Street Style by Isabelle Thomas and Frederique Veysset is a primarily photo book on - what else? - the street style of Parisian women. It breaks down each outfit and also gives examples of what to wear for certain occasions. Great as a style inspiration book.





2 comments:

Jenmarie said...

Congrats on the new place and job! How exciting for the both of you and what a great way to start off the new year :)

Anonymous said...

I hope you're able to fill that place up with clean vases of fresh bloomin' lovely flowers :). Just read your post on wishing you could do that one day, it's one of my desires too!